On 18 December 2022, the Council and Parliament reached a provisional agreement on the revision of the EU emissions trading system (‘EU ETS’), as part of the ‘Fit for 55’ package. The next step is formal adoption in both institutions, and publication and entry into force 20 days later.
This political agreement on the revision of the EU ETS includes adjustments to its compliance calendar. In particular, the deadline for competent authorities to grant free allocation is planned to be postponed from 28 February to 30 June, and the deadline to surrender allowances from 30 April to 30 September.
If adopted by the Parliament and the Council, changes to the compliance cycle would apply from 2024 onwards, as those amendments to Directive 2003/87/EC need to be transposed by Member States into their national laws.
For 2023, the above-mentioned deadlines remain unchanged.
- European Green Deal: EU agrees to strengthen and expand emissions trading, and creates a Social Climate Fund to help people in the transition - Commission press release
- 'Fit for 55': Council and Parliament reach provisional deal on EU emissions trading system and the Social Climate Fund - Consilium (europa.eu)
- Climate change: Deal on a more ambitious Emissions Trading System (ETS) | News | European Parliament (europa.eu)
- Revision phase 4 2021-2030
- EUR LEX Glossary: Transposition
- Directive 2003/87/EC
- Publication date
- 30 January 2023
- Directorate-General for Climate Action