Today the Climate Change Committee, representing EU Member States, approved two draft Regulations on monitoring and reporting of greenhouse gas emissions and on verification and accreditation of verifiers in the EU ETS. These rules form part of the set of implementing rules for the third trading period of the EU ETS starting in January 2013.
These new rules will make monitoring and reporting of greenhouse gas emissions more complete, accurate and transparent and will ensure that verifiers are well equipped to check the reports submitted by installations or aircraft operators in an independent and impartial manner. The two regulations contain specific provisions for small emitters.
The draft Regulations will now be submitted to European Parliament and Council for approval under the comitology process.
- Regulation on the monitoring and reporting of greenhouse gas emissions under the EU ETS (14 December 2011)
- Regulation on verification and accreditation of EU ETS emission and tonne-kilometre reports (14 December 2011)
- Monitoring, Reporting and Verification of Greenhouse Gas Emissions under the EU ETS
- EU Emissions Trading System
- Publication date
- 14 December 2011
- Directorate-General for Climate Action