The European Energy Exchange (EEX) published today the 2021 EU ETS auction calendars. The auctions will start on 29 January 2021 with an auction by Germany. The auctions on the common auction platform will start on 1 February 2021 and will also include the volumes for the Innovation Fund and the Modernisation Fund. The first 2021 auction by Poland will take place on 3 February 2021.
These are the first auction calendars for the auctions of general and aviation allowances in phase 4 of the EU ETS (2021-2030). They consist of the volumes for all Member States, the Innovation Fund and the Modernisation Fund. The auction calendar for the volumes to be auctioned for the United Kingdom in view of the participation in the EU ETS of the electricity generating installations in the Northern Ireland will be published in mid-2021.
In 2021, EEX, the recently re-appointed common auction platform, will carry out the auctions for 25 Member States and 3 EEA EFTA States, as well for the Innovation Fund and the Modernisation Fund. Germany will auction separately its volumes also at EEX, which is its opt-out auction platform. Poland will continue to use EEX (as the common auction platform) to auction its allowances in the absence of the nomination of its opt-out platform.
The 2021 auction volumes are calculated in accordance with the previously published:
- EU ETS cap for 2021;
- Commission Notice clarifying the aviation volumes and the volumes to be deducted from the auctions for the Member States to be placed in the Market Stability Reserve from January to August 2021; and
- Member States auction shares for phase 4 of the EU ETS.
- Website of the auction platform EEX
- Commission Decision on the Union-wide quantity of allowances to be issued under the EU Emissions Trading System for 2021 (C(2020)7704)
- Notice on the Union-wide quantity of allowances for 2021 and the Market Stability Reserve under the EU Emissions Trading System (C(2020)8643/1)
- Commission Decision on the determination of the Member States’ auction shares during the period 2021-2030 of the EU Emissions Trading System
- Regulatory update on the start of Phase 4
- Regulatory update with further information on the start of phase 4 of the EU ETS in 2021: emission allowances to be issued for aircraft operators and the Market Stability Reserve
- Regulatory update on the re-appointment of EEX as common auction platform
- EU ETS auctioning
- Market Stability Reserve
- Allocation to aviation
- Revision for phase 4 (2021-2030)
- Innovation Fund
- Modernisation Fund
- Publication date
- 21 December 2020
- Directorate-General for Climate Action