<p>The European Commission invites stakeholders to a meeting on the role of agriculture and forestry in achieving the EU's climate change commitments, that will be held on 28 January 2011, from 10.00 to 17.00 (CET), at the Berlaymont building, Room Walter Hallstein, Rue de la Loi 200, 1000 Brussels.</p>
- land use | reduction of gas emissions | sustainable forest management
The EU has committed unilaterally to reduce its overall greenhouse gas emissions by 20% below 1990 levels by 2020, and by up to 30% if conditions are right. Emissions and removals of greenhouse gases in the land use, land use change and forestry (LULUCF) sector are currently not part of the EU's commitment. However, the Council and European Parliament have asked the European Commission to assess modalities for the inclusion of associated emissions and removals in the reduction commitment and, as appropriate, make a proposal.
To capture the views of Member States and other stakeholders, the Commission has engaged in several consultation processes. During 2010, an expert group on climate policy for LULUCF was launched under the European Climate Change Programme and consultations were carried out with the public and with Member States. These important discussions continue and the European Commission therefore invites stakeholders to a meeting to present the consultation results to date and discuss possible ways forward. Taking these discussions into account, the Commission intends to publish a Communication in June 2011 which will, as appropriate, be accompanied or followed by a legislative proposal.
The draft agenda is as follows:
- Policy context and background to the work carried out
- Results of the work of the informal expert group on climate policy for LULUCF
- Results of the public consultation
- Possible ways forward
To register, please respond to CLIMA-LULUCF@ec.europa.eu by 19 January 2011. In the meantime, should you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact us.
- Agenda of the meeting
- Summary report on the work carried out by the European Climate Change Programme (ECCP) expert group on climate policy for land-use, land use change and forestry (LULUCF)
- Overview of Land Use, Land Use Change and Forestry sector (LULUCF) in EU
- Findings of the informal expert group under the European Climate Change Programme (ECCP)
- Public consultation on the role of EU agriculture and forestry in achieving the EU's climate change commitments