The 2030 climate and energy framework includes EU-wide targets and policy objectives for the period from 2021 to 2030.
Reducing emissions - raising our ambition
In 2023, the EU adopted a set of Commission proposals to make the EU's climate, energy, transport and taxation policies fit for reducing net greenhouse gas emissions by at least 55% by 2030, compared to 1990 levels.
This will enable the EU to become the first climate-neutral continent by 2050.
Under the Regulation on the Governance of the Energy Union and Climate Action, the EU has adopted integrated rules to ensure planning, monitoring and reporting of progress towards its 2030 climate and energy targets and its international commitments under the Paris Agreement.
Based on the better regulation principles, the governance process involves consultations with citizens and stakeholders.
- Communication on the 2030 Climate Target Plan
- 2030 Climate Target Plan Impact Assessment
- 2030 Climate Target Plan Impact Assessment Executive Summary
- Commission amended proposal for a Regulation: Climate Law
- Synopsis report public consultation activities and in-depth report open public consultation
- Press Release
- Factsheet - The 2030 Climate Target Plan: A Vision for Europe
- Factsheet - Policy Tools for the 2030 Climate Target Plan
- Supplementary information: data for the graphs presented in the impact assessment