The published calendars reflect the operation of the Market Stability Reserve (MSR) until 31 August 2023. Following the publication by the Commission on 12 May 2022 of the total number of allowances in circulation in 2021, auction volumes from September 2022 to August 2023 are reduced by 347 811 404 allowances, which are placed in the MSR.
The revised 2022 volumes will apply to auctions from September to December 2022, starting with the auction by the common auction platform on 1 September.
In 2023, auctions by the common auction platform will continue to take place on Mondays, Tuesdays and Thursdays, starting on 9 January. Auctions by Germany will be held weekly on Fridays, starting on 13 January. Auctions on behalf of Poland are scheduled bi-weekly on Wednesdays, starting on 18 January.
In addition, EEX will conduct in 2023 six aviation auctions as the common auction platform, as well as one aviation auction each for Germany and Poland.
The EU ETS Directive continues to apply from 1 January 2021 to and in the UK in respect of the generation of electricity in Northern Ireland. Further to the Protocol on Ireland/Northern Ireland, the UK will auction a volume of allowances corresponding to its share in the Union-wide cap. The auctions for Northern Ireland will take place on 21 September 2022 and 4 October 2023.
The auction calendars consist of the auction volumes for all Member States, the Innovation Fund and the Modernisation Fund.
The 2022 and 2023 auction volumes are calculated in accordance with the previously published:
- The published 2022 auction calendars;
- Communication of the Commission on the total number of allowances in circulation in 2021 for the purposes of the Market Stability Reserve
- Member States auction shares for phase 4 of the EU ETS.
- Website of the auction platform EEX
- EEX Press Release - EEX publishes revised 2022 calendar for EUA auctions and 2023 auction calendar
- Commission Decision on the Union-wide quantity of allowances to be issued under the EU Emissions Trading System for 2021 (C(2020)7704)
- Commission Decision on the determination of the Member States’ auction shares during the period 2021-2030 of the EU Emissions Trading System
- Regulatory update on the re-appointment of EEX as common auction platform
- EU ETS auctioning
- Market Stability Reserve
- Revision for phase 4 (2021-2030)
- Innovation Fund
- Modernisation Fund
- Publication date
- 28 July 2022
- Directorate-General for Climate Action