The European Commission today adopted a Roadmap for transforming the European Union into a competitive low carbon economy by 2050. The Roadmap describes the cost-effective pathway to reach the EU's objective of cutting greenhouse gas emissions by 80-95% of 1990 levels by 2050. Based on the cost-effectiveness analysis undertaken, the Roadmap gives direction to sectoral policies, national and regional low-carbon strategies and long-term investments.
The EU needs to start working now on long-term strategies, and the Roadmap provides guidance on how this transition can be achieved in the most cost-effective way. The European Commission has also taken the initiative because leading the global transition to a low carbon and resource-efficient economy will have multiple benefits for the EU.
- IP/11/272: Climate change: Commission sets out Roadmap for building a competitive low-carbon Europe by 2050
- Roadmap for moving to a competitive low carbon economy in 2050
- Citizen's Summary
- More information on the Roadmap for moving to a competitive low carbon economy by 2050
- Questions and Answers on a Roadmap for moving to a low carbon economy in 2050
- All other related documents
- Data publicării
- 8 martie 2011
- Direcția Generală Politici Climatice