<p>The second of two consultation meetings on options for structural measures to strengthen the EU Emissions Trading System (ETS) took place on 19 April 2013 in Brussels. The first meeting was held by the European Commission on 1 March 2013.</p>
- emission trading
The two consultation meetings provided an opportunity for stakeholders to examine in detail the merits and drawbacks of six options for structural measures to tackle the large and growing imbalance in the EU ETS. The six options are set out in the Commission's first report on the state of the European carbon market, published in November 2012.
The second meeting focused on the following three options:
- Early revision of the linear reduction factor;
- Extension of the scope of the EU ETS to other sectors; and
- Use of access to international credits.
In addition, the meeting looked at possible additional options supported by several stakeholders in the online consultation which ran until the end of February. The meeting also included an item on competitiveness and risk of carbon leakage.
- Watch the webstream of the meeting.
- Panel 1: Early revision of the linear reduction factor
- Panel 2: Extension of the scope of the EU ETS to other sectors
- Panel 3: Use of access to international credits
- Panel 4: Additional options supported by several stakeholders
- Outline agendas
- 14/11/2012 – COM(2012) 652 – The state of the European carbon market in 2012
- First consultation meeting
- 30/01/2013 - Consultation meetings on the options for structural measures to strengthen the EU Emissions Trading System
- Online consultation
- Structural reform of the European carbon market