On 13 June 2023, the European Commission's DG Climate Action will host a hybrid Stakeholder Consultation Event. The event will update about the achievements and developments of the Innovation Fund and gather views from stakeholders on future calls for proposals, following the revision of the ETS Directive. The event will also be an opportunity for sector specific stakeholders to provide their contribution on the design of the 2023 Innovation Fund call for proposals.
Registrations to participate in the event in person (on a first come first served basis, in person participation limited to maximum two participants per organisation) or online are now open and have been extended.
Livestreaming of the event will also be available on this page.
Book your seat, the registration will end today, 9 June 2023, 23:59 CEST
- EU financing
- Live streaming available
- 13 Jun 2023,
09:30 AM - 10:00 AM CESTRegistration & welcome coffee
- 10:00 AM - 10:30 AM CESTIntroduction
- 10:30 AM - 11:10 AM CESTOverview of the IF changes following the EU ETS Directive revision
Q&A – 10 mins (11:00-11:10)
- 11:10 AM - 11:30 AM CESTBreak / room change
- 11:30 AM - 01:00 PM CESTSector working sessions (parallel sessions):
- Session A: Aviation
- Session B: Industry decarbonisation, including substitute products
- 01:00 PM - 02:00 PM CESTLunch break
- 02:00 PM - 03:30 PM CESTSector working sessions (parallel sessions):
- Session C: Maritime
- Session D: Cleantech manufacturing, including renewables and energy storage
- 03:30 PM - 04:00 PM CESTCoffee Break
- 04:00 PM - 04:45 PM CESTInteractive discussion: Feedback from the sectoral workshop
- 04:45 PM - 05:00 PM CESTClosing remarks & next steps
- Starts on Tuesday 13 June 2023, 10:00 CEST
The Innovation Fund is one of the world’s largest funding programmes for the demonstration and commercialisation of innovative low-carbon technologies. The Innovation Fund aims to bring industrial solutions to decarbonise Europe to the market and it is funded with revenues from the auctioning of allowances from the EU Emissions Trading System.
The Innovation Fund has already held two large-scale calls, awarding €1.1 billion and €1.8 billion in grants to 7 and 17 projects respectively (see the Innovation Fund Project Portfolio Dashboard) and launched a third one with a budget of €3 billion at the end of 2022. The European Commission has also held two calls for small-scale projects with total capital costs below €7.5 million, awarding around €160 million to 46 projects. A third call was launched in March 2023 with a budget of €100 million – applications are welcome until 19 September 2023.
Following the revision of the ETS Directive (more details on the revised ETS Directive can be found here), the Innovation Fund provisions were amended such as :
- extended the scope of the funding both in terms of sectors (maritime, aviation, buildings, road transport) and in terms of level of innovation, allowing support to upscale innovative technologies; and
- introduced new financing mechanisms whereby projects are selected on the basis of an auction (competitive bidding) and are supported through fixed premium contracts, contracts for difference, or carbon contracts for difference.