The EU and China have a long-standing cooperation on climate change and have agreed to further step up joint efforts.
Since 2005, the EU-China Partnership on Climate Change has provided a high-level political framework for cooperation and dialogue.
This was confirmed in the 2010 Joint statement and enhanced in the 2015 Joint statement and the 2018 Leaders’ statement.
Areas of cooperation
At the EU-China Summit in July 2018, both sides reaffirmed their commitment to advance the implementation of the Paris Agreement and intensify their cooperation on climate change and clean energy.
The EU and China agreed to strengthen bilateral cooperation for example on
- long-term low greenhouse gas emission development strategies
- emissions trading – e.g. under the Memorandum of Understanding
- energy efficiency
- clean energy
- low-emission transport
- low-carbon cities
- climate-related technology
- investment in climate and clean energy projects, and
- cooperation with other developing countries.
Examples of joint projects
- Supporting the design and implementation of greenhouse gas emissions trading in China, in view of China's plans to establish a nationwide emissions trading system, for example through policy dialogue and cooperation projects. For more information, see the page on international carbon markets.
- Cooperation and technical dialogues between EU and Chinese experts on scenario modelling, in view of the long-term low greenhouse gas emission transition and other climate policy frameworks.
- Experts seminar on post-COVID green recovery in the EU and China, in Beijing and online on 24-25 September 2020.
- EU-China expert dialogue on land use and climate change
- 16/07/2018 - Leaders’ statement on climate change and clean energy
- 16/07/2018 - Questions and answers on the Leaders’ statement
- 16/07/2018 - Memorandum of Understanding on enhancing cooperation on emissions trading
- 29/06/2015 - Joint statement on climate change
- 29/06/2015 - Questions and answers on the EU-China Joint Statement on Climate Change
- 29/04/2010 - Joint Statement on Dialogue and Cooperation on Climate Change
- 02/09/2005 - Joint declaration on Climate Change between China and the European Union