The 2030 climate and energy framework includes EU-wide targets and policy objectives for the period from 2021 to 2030.
Greenhouse gas emissions - raising the ambition
As part of the European Green Deal, the Commission proposed in September 2020 to raise the 2030 greenhouse gas emission reduction target, including emissions and removals, to at least 55% compared to 1990.
It looked at the actions required across all sectors, including increased energy efficiency and renewable energy, and started the process of making detailed legislative proposals by July 2021 to implement and achieve the increased ambition.
2030 climate and energy framework - existing ambition
Key targets for 2030:
- At least 40% cuts in greenhouse gas emissions (from 1990 levels)
- At least 32% share for renewable energy
- At least 32.5% improvement in energy efficiency
The 40% greenhouse gas target is implemented by the EU Emissions Trading System, the Effort Sharing Regulation with Member States' emissions reduction targets and the Land use, land use change and forestry Regulation. In this way, all sectors will contribute to the achievement of the 40% target by both reducing emissions and increasing removals.
All three pieces of climate legislation will now be updated with a view to implement the proposed at least 55% net greenhouse gas emissions reduction target. The Commission will come forward with the proposals by July 2021.
Under the Regulation on the Governance of the Energy Union and Climate Action, the EU has adopted integrated rules to ensure planning, monitoring and reporting of progress towards its 2030 climate and energy targets and its international commitments under the Paris Agreement.
Based on the better regulation principles, the governance process involves consultations with citizens and stakeholders.
European Council conclusions
- 28/10/2014 - European Council 23/24 October 2014 - Conclusions
- 27/06/2014 - European Council 26/27 June 2014 - Conclusions
- 21/03/2014 - European Council 20/21 March 2014 - Conclusions
Communication and other documents
- 30/10/2014 - Outcome of the October 2014 European Council
- 21/03/2014 - Climate and energy priorities for Europe: the way forward
- 22/01/2014 - COM(2014) 15 - Communication: A policy framework for climate and energy in the period from 2020 to 2030
- 22/01/2014 - SWD(2014) 15 - Impact assessment
- 22/01/2014 - SWD(2014) 16 - Executive summary of impact assessment
- 22/01/2014 - COM(2014) 21 - Communication on energy prices and costs in Europe
- 22/01/2014 - SWD(2014) 20 - Report on energy prices and costs
- 22/01/2014 - IP/14/54 - 2030 climate and energy goals for a competitive, secure and low-carbon EU economy
- 22/01/2014 - MEMO/14/40 - Questions and answers on the 2030 framework
- 22/01/2014 - MEMO/14/39 - Questions and answers on the EU ETS market stability reserve
- 22/01/2014 - MEMO/14/38 - Questions and answers on the energy prices report
- 22/01/2014 - SPEECH/14/50 - Statement by President Barroso on the 2030 Energy and Climate Framework
- 27/03/2013 - COM(2013) 169 - Green Paper: A 2030 climate & energy framework
- 27/03/2013 - IP/13/272 - Commission moves forward on climate and energy towards 2030
- 27/03/2013 - MEMO/13/275 - Questions and Answers: Green Paper on a 2030 climate & energy framework