Wherever you work, there are many simple actions you can take to help save resources, energy and emissions.
The EU Eco-Management and Audit Scheme (‘EMAS’) is open to companies and organisations, in Europe and worldwide, to help them evaluate and improve their environmental performance.
- Use your own mug, instead of disposable plastic or paper cups. If you drink two coffees a day, this would save around 500 wasted cups a year.
- Think before you print. Consider whether you really need to print a document or e-mail and encourage other people to do the same. If you must print a document, print on both sides.
- Shut down your computerand printers at night and on weekends. And check your computer’s settings – there should be power-saving options that you can use.
- Buy supplies in bulk. Suggest replacing individual packets of coffee, sugar, cream and tea with large containers for everyone’s use. This is cheaper and reduces waste.
- Try cutting down on work travel through teleconferencing or other remote meeting options.
- Ask your manager if your building has had an energy audit. Basic energy saving measures, like movement-activated lighting, can significantly reduce bills.